Sunday, March 23, 2008

Overheard Waiting for the N Train

Last Sunday I was waiting. As usual. Waiting on the platform for the N train from Queens into Manhattan.

I heard a man off to my left say to another man, "Excuse me. I am sorry to interrupt. But I just want to say I think it is wonderful that you are reading to your daughter. I am a teacher and I wish more parents would do that."

The dad who was reading a book to his daughter said, "I don't know why anyone wouldn't!"

Then, a woman sitting on same bench as me commented to the man next to her, "Jewish people ALWAYS read to their children. That's why they are so smart." Then she repeated herself while clipping her nails at the same time.

For a brief moment I felt a sense of community. A rare moment for me in New York since I tend to be shy. Even though I didn't make any comments.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

What a great NYC story. I miss New York! And my Brooke!

Unknown said...

Good to hear from you on the blog again!!