Friday, February 23, 2007

The Armory Show

As many of you may know, the Armory Show is one of the most important Art Fairs in the World. It's been around since the 1930's. Of course it is alot different now. Now it is a huge pier filled with booths set up by the most successful contemporary galleries. Here is a picture of just one of the hallways.



The gallery where I work had a booth at the fair. This is it . . .



You'll notice the Prada Bag in front. It is by an artist named Jonathan Seliger. It is actually made of bronze. The circular metal sculpture is by Subodh Gupta from India. And the large piece on the back wall is hundreds of bottle caps weaved together with metal by El Anatsui from Nigeria.


Here are some of my favorites from the show. What a person picks out of thousands of pieces of art says something about them I suppose. I would go into a discussion about each piece. But who has time for that?

I love the nostalgic, japanimation-inspired art. Anything cute. These are 2 works by Mr. at Lehmin Maupin Gallery (I interviewed here).





This is an amusing reference to pop culture in the Paul Kasmin Gallery booth. Sound familiar? Think Dirty Dancing.



Folkert De Jong is an artist whose work I discovered in Los Angeles about 2 years. It is made out of synthetics like foam. These characters are lifesize.





I like this one because she is in the yoga bridge pose. It was painted on the wall. It says something about the politics of the mapping of the female body etc. etc.



This is the painter Ryan McGinness. I've been following him since I moved here. He is with Deitch Projects. Although I must say I really was disappointed with their booth this year. The first Armory show I went to they were selling yummy cupcakes.



And I was really hungry as I walked around. So here is some food art.





Here is the garbage truck that some poor soul had to somehow get into this huge hall.





And finally. This is a wood sculpture currently showing in our gallery by Claudette Schreuders. I like to think of her as my twin.



4 comments:

luminainfinite said...

Wowwwwwww woooowwwwwwww wowwowowowowowoowowowow

I wanna go to the next Armory Show! thank you for introducing me to it for the first time! I'm so excited to do art life in New York City with you soon! I'm so proud of you.

Jason Van Orden said...

"This is an amusing reference to pop culture in the Paul Kasmin Gallery booth. Sound familiar? Think Dirty Dancing."

Dang. I feel dumb. I still don't get this one. Of course, I never saw Dirty Dancing.

Looks like it was a fun show.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Hahaha, I love the pictures of you at the end! Identical twin.

VirtualM said...

Oh Brooke, your life is so much sexier than mine. I am jealous.