Monday, February 26, 2007

What I Should Have Said: Awkward Encounter at Church

So I went to church on Sunday and I attend a congregation made up entirely of singles. Every week I have several awkward and uncomfortable encounters. Some amusing. Some downright painful. Argh!

This Sunday I was talking with my cousin and her friends when a guy comes up and interupts and starts calling me some name like, "Heather." Whoever she was, her name was on a piece of paper and he had to conduct business with her of some kind. Now mind you. I have had full on conversations with this guy 4 times before. Although perhaps I never told him my name. But it was obvious he had no recollection of ever having talked to me. It wasn't just that he didn't know my name, but he didn't remember who I was. The conversation then went as follows:

Are you talking to me?
Yes.
I'm Brooke. Not Heather.
Really? I thought you were Heather (he had the most confused look on his face--like when he thinks he is right and i just have to be wrong. He had business to conduct with whomever Heather was).
No. I'm Brooke. But that's okay.
I'm sorry. I got confused. I thought you were Heather.

He was obviously kind of embarassed at this point. Blushing a bit. I was blushing a bit too. So I thought he would take the out. But he keeps talking to me and is like, "Are you new?" I just said that I was visiting and I actually live in Queens. And he kept trying to talk to me and I just turned back to my previous conversation.

Now. I know it is hard to remember girls when there are SO MANY of them and so few guys. But I have to admit that this did kind of hurt my feelings. And I know I shouldn't take it personally and blah blah blah. But it is kind of sad to think you can talk to someone 4 times and think you are having a significant conversation and they don't remember you.

What I should have said: "Yeah. Actually we've met 4 times."

I can't be too harsh, because I once asked a girl about herself and she told me that she'd already told me that. But she only had to tell me twice. So there. And I once called a kid Phillip for 2-3 weeks until he told me his name is Nicolas. So. I guess I can't blame the guy. Bless his heart.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Brooke, that is terrible that he didn't remember your name but as a person who has a REALLY hard time remembering names, I feel bad for him. It sounds like he wanted to talk to you and you blew him off just because he didn't remember your name. It sounds like he remembered talking to you - just didn't remember your name. But maybe I missed something.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Oh, I admit it...it was me. I even made a movie with you and I forgot who you are. I'm such a jerk!

luminainfinite said...

ha ha ha!