Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What I Should Have Said: Awkward Encounter at Church III

Well. This time my moment of awkwardness was not in the single's congregation, but at a "traditional" or what I call a "family" congregation. I like to bounce around a bit.

I stayed after church to go to a "Munch and Mingle" where you get to know your fellow church-goers. I was in the room with only one couple. The wife left for a moment leaving just me and her husband. He pointed to his wife and said, "I'm with her. Just so you know and don't hit on me or anything."

Ummmm....my response? Pretend like I didn't hear him.

What I should have said:

"In your dreams."
"You're not my type."
"I don't think YOU have to worry about that."
"I'm not THAT desperate."
"Well. There's always polygamy." (for those of you who don't know, Mormons don't actually practice polygamy anymore.)

Was he making a joke? Maybe. I don't really know the guy. So it made me uncomfortable. To say the least. And it perpetuates the idea that single women can't be friends with married men. Or even talk to them for that matter. When really I am trying to get to know the people there, find friends and connect with fellow human beings. Maybe it is awkward for him because he doesn't know many single women. What he doesn't understand is that many of the men I have been friends with in the past are now married. And they are still my friends. Argh! Perhaps in writing this I sound bitter. But more than anything, I'd like to overcome stereotypes that are placed on me as a single woman. Stereotypes that I've only heard mention of, but never actually knew they existed. Or MAYBE he is so smart, that he knows these stereotypes exist and so was trying to overcome them by using humor.

7 comments:

Jonathan Canlas said...

bs. i'm married and brooke we can be bff.

you really should shop your life around for a screenplay/movie. it would sell like hot cakes.

Side of Jeffrey said...

Another possible comment:

"Your wife actually told me how gay you are, so trust me, I wouldn't waste my time."

VirtualM said...

Ugh. That's really all I have to say. Because, yeah, you'd never want to talk to a guy unless he were potential mate material. *eye roll* And sadly, it doesn't really go away when you're married...other married men often get that way around ANY woman, married or not. Mormons can be weird like that, conforming to stereotypes.

wendyhc said...

LAME-O-LAH! but i agree that your awkward church encounters make entertaining stories. but i'd be stumped too about how to respond. what do you say to that???!!!

wendyhc said...

LAME-O-LAH! but these awkward church encounters make great blog entries. what do you say to that???!!!

Th. said...

.

Well, I was going to say hi even though I was hardly a fixture in your life, but since my wife hasn't seen your comment yet, I had better not. I wouldn't want you getting the Wrong Idea.

Liza Jane said...

That's crazy! Were you making "hungry eyes" at him, by chance? Jk. Love your blog - it cracks me up.