Tuesday, August 28, 2007

If Tubing is a "White Trash" Activity, Then White Trash I Be!

This last saturday was one of the 2 saturdays I have left before moving back to working Tues-Sat. So I decided that instead of lounging around I would have a bit of an adventure, wake-up at 6:30 AM and go tubing. I rode on a bus for 2.5 hours with a bunch of singles to an unknown destination, which I later learned was Phoenicia, NY. Here our group was instructed in the art of tubing, and we were then sent off on our own down the river.

Growing up in Kansas we used to go on a ride at World's of Fun called, "Fury of the Nile". Well. Tubing was like that. ONLY BETTER! I bit it once and fell off my tube. I was telling a fisherman that there were alot more of us coming down the river and the next thing I knew I was underwater. I tried to look like I meant it to happen. Yeah right.

I didn't want to get behind, so I paddled forward. Soon I ended up with a bunch of strangers in the group ahead of us and so had to wait for some familiar faces. I guess I am a fast tuber.

Needless to say. It was a blast. The only bad part was riding back on the bus in 98 degree weather with no AC and no windows! Here I was trying to look attractive because it was a single's activity. And heat is not exactly my best look. Although I did strip down to my bathing suit and had to hike up my skirt. But redheads in hot weather are not known for being super-cute. We mostly look sick. I said, "If I could name my worst-case scenario. This would be it." Soon the guy next to me started to spout off about how he feels like he is surrounded by negativity and it isn't that bad. Whatever! Can't a person complain if it is justified? When we got back to the city I saw a clock that said it was 98 degrees. And when we stepped off the bus I actually felt COOL! Ah. Well. I survived my worst-case scenario. And probably sweated out alot of toxins in the process. Most importantly, I got some outdoor time and got to reconnect with a couple of friends.

1 comment:

Side of Jeffrey said...

Itis now officially time to post a new post.