Friday, October 06, 2006

What I Should Have Said: Subway Encounter

I like Subway (the restaurant, not mass transit). I am not ashamed to admit it because my friend Lisa who has lived here 5 years said she likes it. It's cheap. Good. Healthy.

There is one Subway in Columbus Circle that I like because they have banana peppers and the restaurant is clean. There is always one guy behind the counter who likes to chat me up. Once after Yoga I was wearing scrubs and he asked if I was in Med School.

So ANYWAY...Here is how the conversation went with him last time. I came in. I was just waiting for him to say something. He had that look in his eye. He asked, "Do you have a sister?" I said, "Yes. But she doesn't live here." He said, "Is she as pretty as you? I swear you have a sister. Are you sure you don't have a sister?" I just said, "Nope". Then he looked at me and said, "You don't usually wear glasses do you?" At this point the woman who worked there was looking at him like she was annoyed and then he apologized.

Man. Is this guy observant or what? I actually had no idea how to respond to this. I considered if I should flirt back. But I actually wasn't sure if he was flirting because he was kind of subversive about it. I also wondered if I could date a guy who works at Subway. This is what went through my mind. I considered if I would be ashamed to introduce him to people. This is the harsh truth.

I am at a loss about what I should have said instead of, "Nope." I could have been mean and said, "Do you have a brother who has a REAL job?" That's so mean! Why did I think that. I would never say that. Who am I to talk? I'm currently temping.

Any ideas on what I should have said? Sandwiches could provide a lot of suggestive comebacks which I won't get into right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

if you thought he was cute you should have just chatted with him - nothing witty, nothing flirty, just normal chat. You might find out Subway isn't his life-long profession either. . .