Tuesday, October 10, 2006

What I Wish I'd Seen: The Science of Sleep at Deitch Projects

I DID have the opportunity to see the imaginative and delightful film, "The Science of Sleep." Oddly enough, I related well to this film despite its weirdness (perhaps I am revealing too much about myself--like that I'm weird). Relationships can be sort of fantastical in the beginning stages. I have always loved/hated the awkwardness in determining if a "friend" is interested, or is just being neighborly and vice versa (i.e., I can't figure out if I'm really interested in the friend). I thought the film captured this confusing terrain perfectly in its haphazard manner. The rational side of me wanted to tell Stephanie to run RUN from the kookie artist Stephane. But the romantic side wanted to see them together because their fantasies and imaginations coincided so well. And that is rare. Now if only they could get along so well in reality. But what is real? Deep stuff.

ANYWAY...I'm sad that I missed the exhibit at Deitch Projects featuring some of the art in the film. It is rare to see a film that IS art while also featuring art in the process. So. For those of you who missed this show like me, you can look at photos in retrospect (see link below). I continue to see recreations of the scenery of the movie, but never the actual thing. Maybe seeing it in real life would take away some of the magic. So for your viewing pleasure, I give you THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP: an exhibition of sculpture and creepy pathological gifts at Deitch Projects (one of my all-time favorite galleries).

I will say that I hadn't actually seen the movie while this show was up, so I wouldn't have appreciated it as much anyway.

Also...See the movie if you haven't!

1 comment:

VirtualM said...

Brooke, you've inspired me to make a matinee of it. No one goes to the art cinema during the day except for the occasional blue hair, so I should be able to sneak the baby in.