Monday, November 06, 2006

What They Shouldn't Have Said . . .

Some of my friends sure are clever. In the last 2 weeks the following comments been made towards me (all by guys I may add):

1. So why haven't you found a job yet?
Because I haven't been able to find the right fit and because my field is competitive. I've had a lot of interviews, but there is always someone more qualified for the job.

2. At least I can hold a job. (This in reference to the fact that I left my insurance job of 2 years to pursue my DREAM job--something I often wonder if I should have done.)
I could have kept that job. I CHOSE to leave.

3. Oh yeah. I forgot you are unemployed. (This in reference to my choice to move to Queens because it is more affordable)
I am not unemployed. I am working. I just don't have a permanent job.

I admit that I can be overly sensitive. But I think people can also be overly INsensitive toward their lesser employed friends.

LESSON: Say things that will boost the confidence of your job-searching friends. Not chip away at their already fragile egos. Especially if you are making said comments in front of other people.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jerks.
We all make unthinking, insensitive remarks at times but these are extreme and ridiculous. As I told you, these comments were made by people who don't understand the the difference between a job and a career, especially in a tight and competitive market. You know your stuff, you have persistence, it will pay off.

VirtualM said...

Dude, Brooke, you've only been looking for a few months! It takes patience and persistence to land a dream job. (Talk to Juston if you need more reassurance - he LOVES his job, but it took him a long time to find it and he made a lot of less satisfactory pit stops along the way.) You could've gone out and taken any old job the day after you graduated, but you have a bigger vision. You're talented and qualified, and you WILL find the right fit.
Go and smack your "friends" for me. They deserve a dose of reality.