Thursday, September 21, 2006

Adventures on the Lower East Side

Say hello to my friends Jason & Melanie. We decided to attend a free concert last saturday put on by the East River Music Project at the East Side Ampitheatre. Who knew there was such a nice respite on the East River? J&M are very adventurous when it comes to finding new music and restaurants in the city. That is a rare quality. Be sure to visit Jason's Web site at www.jasonvanorden.com.



This is the venue. The buildings you see are on the opposite side of the river. That's Brooklyn! I wish I had known about these concerts at the beginning of the summer. As you can see, the crowd was sparse which made it ideal.


This was the first band, and by far my favorite. They are called
The End of the World.


This is the small hipster fan base of The End of the World.


It looks like this guy is ROCKIN out. The irony is, that this is one of the most mellow bands I've ever heard. And I've seen some mellow bands..

Love as Laughter is their name. And they varied between 7 and 10 band members, when the most they really needed for this was probably 4. They had TWO tamborine players. What's up with that? I think they just invited their friends to join in. Which reminds me of The Flaming Lips who have an entire entourage of people in animal costumes on stage with them.



I love this building! It's just being built on the Lower East Side. What is it? Residence? Business? Does anyone know? The windows consist of several shades of blue (my favorite). I also love the unorthodox shape.

UPDATE: This building is called Blue. Thanks Brigham for the info. It is hard to look at the Web site because it makes me extremely covetous. Could living in such a place actually make a person happier? I would have to say yes. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know.



We ended our day at
Katz Deli. They are famous for their Reuben Sandwich. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like meat. The fries were excellent. You have to stand in line and order your sandwich at the counter and then go to another counter for fries and drinks. Best of all, the pickles are FREE! Don't lose the ticket they hand you when you walk in, or you'll be charged a fee upon leaving.

1 comment:

Brigham said...

That building is Blue, the Lower East Side's first luxury highrise doorman building.

Google "Blue lower east side" for plenty on it.