Wednesday, September 27, 2006

What I Should Have Said: An Interview Post-Mortem

One of the interviewers from one of the many jobs I interviewed for and did not get kindly agreed to meet with me at 8A.M. yesterday to discuss what I should have said. Here is the advice she gave me:

1. Sit-up straight--it exudes confidence ( I happened to be slouching at that very moment).
2. Tell them about my skills in terms of how I will be able to help their business. In other words, turn it back on them.
3. Give myself a pep-talk. Think, "I am the next Mary Boone." Act confident but not arrogant.
4. Look them in the eye (she said I don't have a problem with this).
5. Smile (apparently I DO have a problem with this).
6. Wear lipstick.
7. Wear a power suit (this will help me feel confident).
8. Wear my hair in a bun.

A lot of this is very similar to the dating advice my mom gives me. Mom was right. I am a bit slouchy. But I'm getting better.

I did implement this advice in an interview at a gallery, and I feel that it went very well. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Siren of the Farmhouse said...

Good advice. Also, now I don't feel so silly about rehearsing for an hour before I go to an interview.
Love your blog, Brookyl--keep it up!
--Krista

Siren of the Farmhouse said...

Now I don't feel so silly --I remember rehearsing for at least a half an hour before an interview.

Keep writing, Brookyl. It's nice to know what you're doing these days...
--Krista

VirtualM said...

Yikes - wear your hair in a bun? I'm screwed if I ever decide to re-enter the work force as a professional. I will have to grow out of the fauxhawk stage.
Good luck with the job hunt, something always works out and it ends up being better than you ever expected (in my experience anyway.)
:)

Anonymous said...

Babette says: WEAR YOUR HAIR IN A BUN. Yuck. Throw those shoulders back, smile and exude confidence - you have everything a woman could possibly want - looks, great body, fun, smart, caring, spiritual. Over and out

Your one and only Mom