Wednesday, December 06, 2006

What I Should NOT Have Done on My B-day

Word to the Wise. Do NOT go to a temp job on your birthday. I've been in my current placement over a month. The guy I'm replacing was fired. And several people have left the department in the last few months. NOT a good sign.

My sister recommended that I bring in treats for everyone. But I just couldn't bring myself to use my precious money for these people who could really care less. So I opted out. Instead I just told a few people. And they would just say, "Happy birthday" and look back to their computers. Sad.

After temping I went to a job interview. Does it get any better than this? It was another interview where they brief me on the position and give me no time to respond and say how I can fulfill those duties. I don't understand why they repeatedly do this at galleries. So at the end I just said, "I know I can do everything you mentioned and am excited about the position." This was pretty much on my way out the door because they were in such a hurry.

I left the interview and walked to Times Square looking for a spot to stop in and cry because my eyes would not stop tearing up for some reason. So I wandered around for an hour. Then I called my friend Michelle who lives in the neighborhood. I asked if I could hang at her place for an hour. I did, and she gave me a foot rub! This was the highlight of my day thus far.

Anywho. Finally I ended up at Dinner at Vynl with my friend Alyssa. I arrived and she was all smiles. She took me to the back of the restaurant and sitting there was a group of my friends and they all started clapping for me. Surprise! I just started crying b/c none of them had called me that day and I felt so sad. It really cheered me up! If Alyssa hadn't done this for me it would have been a miserable day. So thank you to my friends for coming through on my "special" day. Click here if you'd like to read more about the dinner.

So. What should I have done? Called in sick and gone to the Bronx Zoo. One of my favorite spots in the city. Follow that up with a manicure/pedicure. That would have been great.

2 comments:

luminainfinite said...

No, you should have got on a plane and let me give you a foot-rub and pedicure here in Seoul, and then we could have hit some galleries and kalbi.

happy birthday baby! I love you.

VirtualM said...

Happy Birthday, Brooke! I'm glad your friends treated you to something special because you deserve it. I'm sorry I'm a bit late!
Love ya!