Sunday, December 31, 2006

What I ACTUALLY Did (not just should have done)

So. I was a little scared to do this. Put together the list of interviews I've been on. But luckily I have some good news about job hunting! But first, I want to take a trip down memory lane and list all of the places I interviewed starting back in April.

Here it goes...

Art Newspaper
Americans for the Arts
AIG
Sotheby's
Patron Technology
AIR Gallery
Bryce Wolkowitz
MoMA
Hazen Keay
Black Dragon Society
Paul Rodgers/9W Gallery
White Space Gallery
Spencer Brownstone Gallery
Margaret Thatcher Projects
Craig F. Starr Gallery
Merton Simpson Gallery
Studio in a School
Tanya Bonakdar
Lehman Maupin
Thomas & Associates
Art Assets

(And any others I may have forgotten. Not to mention all the "informational" interviews).

So. About 3 weeks ago a friend informed me of an opening doing Development at the Frick. So I interviewed there on a Wednesday. Then got a call that afternoon from the Jack Shainman Gallery. Got called back for a 2nd interview on Thursday at the Frick followed by an interview with Jack Shainman himself Thursday evening. He was hilarious and I felt like I could be myself during the interview. And the job sounded exactly like what I have determined I want to do after my 20+ interviews. I informed him that I would be going in for a 3rd interview at the Frick on Friday (the truth).

So. Friday I went in for a final interview at the Frick. (Keep in mind that I was also doing temp work in the middle of all these interviews). That same Friday afternoon Jack called and asked me to come in on Saturday for a 2nd interview. I went in at 1:00. Then at 5:00 while out shopping with a friend Jack called me and informed me that he wanted to hire me. I asked him for a little time to think about it. So I called him Sunday evening. He was sick so called me back on Monday. I then called him on my lunch hour and he asked to call me back in 2 minutes. While I waited the Frick called and offered me the job. What the? So I told them I was probably going to take another job. Jack then called. I told him the Frick just called. We talked. Figured out the details. I took the job at the Jack Shainman Gallery. He told me they had a lot of great candidates, but that I was the best. That's nice to hear. I'm still in shock! It happened so quickly after all my months of searching.

It was stressful to actually turn down a great opportunity to work at the Frick. But my dream has been to work with living artists in a setting where I can learn about contemporary art.

Thanks to all those who fasted, prayed and crossed their fingers for me. When I informed 3 of my friends they each separately said to me, "My prayers have been answered!"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess that would have been a more approriate response than me jumping up and down taking your picture on the street as you received the job offer . . . ; )
Congrats again and I can't wait to hear about all the new adventures as you embark on your new career!!!

VirtualM said...

Congratulations! I hope that the new job is everything you want and more. You deserve it!

Jason and Emily said...

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Wow!
so so so impressed!

way to go brookie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason and Emily said...

oops, that last comment was from me...lumina...not moonbird

Anonymous said...

HI BROOKE!!!!!!!! Congratulations on your new job!!!!! I've been reading up about you on your blog (thanks for sending me the link)! You did it!!!!!!! I knew you could find a job you love! I hope everything continues to go well for you there. I'm in Texas--in August, while at home for a break, the El Paso Symphony, EP Opera and EP Conservatory all needed a flutist, plus there was an opening teaching band at Morehead Middle School. So I tried for all of them and got them all!! (I don't remember if I already told you all that.....) Anyway, guess what--I did another audition to try for the DMA. I'm (unofficially) accepted to Rice U's Shepherd School of Music!! They'll send me official notice in the next few weeks.
I'm discovering that these statements are more of a "catching up" than a "comment". Sorry to take up so much space. I'll call you instead!
Congratulations again, Brooke!!!!! Keep going for it!!!!!

Love ya'.
Cathy